Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Night of my First Beer in Berlin

Getting my first beer in Germany was a difficult task. So the plan was for me, and my friends Artur and Trey, to do this whole "bar a night" thing, where we'd go to a different Berlin bar each night. I backed out of the plan after the first week cause it got too tiring, but congrats to Artur and Trey who stuck it through and actually COMPLETED the challenge; they literally drank one Beer for every day they were in Berlin, and believe me, some of the days were tough. They not only managed to come out of the challenge without any beer bellies, but they also have GREAT stories from it. If you're interested, ask to hear some.




Now back to the night of my first beer. Since it was Sunday and lots of businesses are not open late on Sunday nights, we couldn't really find any bars on the street we were on near Nollendorf Platz. But we finally found ONE that was kind of full. We looked in and decided to go in because we saw this man and this blonde lady who seemed to look like they were enjoying themselves. But the second we went in, EVERONE stoppped and looked at me. We were all confused cause we weren't sure if we had done something wrong. It took us a minute to realize the "woman" we saw was actually a man and that we were in a gay bar; so that's why they were all looking at me! Cause they didn't understand why a girl was there. And that is how we accidentally ended up in a gay bar. What a night. Later, we ended up finding another local bar nearby. It ended up being a nice find--a candle lit bar with a chill atmosphere. We settled in and I finally enjoyed my first German beer (a Pils)!

No comments: