Tuesday, September 2, 2008

das Fitnessstudio: working out while in Berlin

If you're looking to counter all the beer and sausage (and Döner) that will inevitably be consumed while you are in Berlin, there are a couple different options available. If you don't require much equipment, the simplest (and free) solution would be to go running in the nice suburban area around the Stanford Villa, and there is a multi-function weight machine in the basement of the center as well.

Fitness Company is a chain of higher-end gyms. The fee is pretty pricey (~€60/month), and you should definitely try to bargain with them to lower the price (say you will sign up elsewhere or bring a friend for bargaining power). The facilities are very nice, with a row of flatscreen TVs facing the cardio area, a pool, sauna, exercise classes, outdoor terrace, nice locker rooms, etc. I only wanted a simple weightroom, but ended up signing up here because the location (right at U9-Bhf Schloßstraße, entrance as seen in the above picture) was much more accessible than all other gyms I found, and I could get there easily after classes at the center. I basically ended up paying for a bunch of luxuries that I never used, but saved myself a lot of time and managed to offset the extra cost somewhat with some strategically frugal budgeting of my food stipend. They offer a monthly membership that is even more expensive, but you can sign up for the one-year membership because if you move to a location more than 25km from their nearest gym, you are allowed to terminate the contract. Just make sure you bring your de-registration from Berlin to prove you are actually leaving, and make sure to get the cancellation taken care of in person before you leave Berlin.

For you girls looking to avoid huge, sweaty German men at the gym, Fitness Company also has a chain of women-only gyms called Jopp. I believe they are similarly high-quality, and of course pretty expensive as well. Lily worked out there during her 6 months in Berlin and thought it was pretty nice. Their closest location to the center is also on Schloßstraße, but at U9-Bhf Rathaus Steglitz. Because Jopp is only in Berlin, you may need to find a new place for the summer if you end up doing an internship elsewhere.

McFit is a chain of gyms with the Germans' oddly favorite prefix in the name (along with McDonalds, McPaper, McClean, etc.). It's quite cheap (~€17/month), and the studios have everything you are used to at the Stanford gym (free weights, weight machines, treadmills, ellipticals), and also helpful trainers that wander around offering advice. The equipment and facility is very basic and showering in the locker rooms isn't free, but the inexpensive membership makes it very appropriate for younger people like us. The only reasonable Berlin location for me was quite a trek from the nearest U-bahn station, so I reluctantly chose not to sign up here. However, I worked out at McFit during my internship in Magdeburg, and although it was always really crowded after work and all the ridiculously muscular East German men made me question my masculinity a bit, I can definitely say that this gym was much more suited to my needs (and wallet). McFit offers only one-year memberships (which may actually be cheaper than 3 months at Fitness Company), but the manager at my gym in Magdeburg was nice enough to let me sign up for only 3 months at the same price when I showed him some documents stating that I would be coming back to the states in September. I guess that policy isn't official, but I imagine the managers should be able to make it happen.

whew. Well that's that, happy exercising.

No comments: